once upon a time

The story of my life

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Wow

Do you ever wonder why people talk to you?
I mean really, every new year of your life you're convinced that you've got it together. Every year you pull out the last year's photographs, laugh, and say, "I can't believe I was such a loser." Every year you're convinced that THIS will be your best year--and you're ready to take it on full of the confidence that no one could possibly look down on you now. I remember when I got my first pair of flaired jeans. I was shopping with Tirzah at the Castleton mall in Indy. (Whoa, weren't we cool?) I remember looking in the mirror and feeling like I was on top of the world. I felt so good about myself that I spent 15 dollars of my birthday money (that totaled 20) on a yellow shirt that Tirzah said was cool too. Of course, after buying these things, I changed into them immediately. I remember bouncing past people, feeling like a new person. I just knew that those jeans were my key to acceptance and therefore, happiness.
I really thought that.
I wore those jeans until the knees turned white--and then, still not willing to part with them, I would color the knees blue with a marker after every wash. However, soonafter I began getting clothes from other people, and those jeans were quickly forgotten. I rediscovered them about a year later and tried them on, only to find that they were unmistakably highwaters. I was shocked. Indignant. Horrified, mortified, and appalled! I hadn't gotten any taller and the jeans were the same as they'd been before--but all of a sudden what had made me feel so cool before now offended my much more cultivated fashion sense.

Um anyway...

Back to the "do you ever wonder why people talk to you?" question. My answer would be yes. And maybe after this pointless entry (and frightening picture) you'll wonder why you talk to me.


Memories...sigh!

6 Comments:

  • At 4:09 PM, Blogger Roberto said…

    Jeans shopping? I don't wear pants.

     
  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger Roberto said…

    Take that back: yes I do. Sorry about that.

     
  • At 6:31 PM, Blogger yoshi said…

    nice rabit trail. it actully had meaning

     
  • At 6:30 PM, Blogger julio said…

    u make a good point. im never talking to you again.

     
  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger Sage said…

    Hey,
    I know exactly what yer meanin lass. Well... ya. Anyways... life and prosperity ontu our good-fer-nothing souls, eh?

     
  • At 6:58 PM, Blogger julio said…

    ooh, so you put a pic online...

    brave. i dont think id have the guts.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home