once upon a time

The story of my life

Thursday, October 07, 2004

The diagnosis...

Typically, I accept my issues as a part of life and do my best to make the most of them--but every once in an eternity an unavoidable issue surfaces. I've considered visiting a psychiatrist in the past, but quickly dismissed this idea by convincing myself that my problem isn't that serious. Just recently, however, I discovered a pamphlet entitled "Help for the Victim of Mental Insecurity and Peer Rejection Undergoing an Inadvertant Denial Phase." According to this document, I should admit that I have a problem (instead of diluting it) and face it "with the clear, loving help of an understanding and certified individual." I asked my friend what this meant, and she (with the strangest look!) told me to go see a doctor.

After recollecting my thoughts, I started to consider the idea. The pamphlet said that the first step to becoming a strong, confident, and self-secure individual was to "identify the problem." Easy enough--I have an obsession with detail. This is no doubt what I would be diagnosed with. I don't necessarily strive for perfection as a whole--as those who know me would be quick to inform you--but the slightest missarangement of obvious details has the potential to inflict anxious feelings of great urgency. My problem began in childhood, when my brother's block tower wasn't symetrical; continued through the trauma of junior high, (why didn't my eyebrows arch the same?); and still manifests itself today, (excuse me a moment--someone has evidently lost the proper cap belonging to my pen and has attempted to replace it with one of a different color.)
I'm certain my psychiatrist would have no difficulty in identifying this issue; especially after I've absent-mindedly polished his doorknob, straightened his rug, and adjusted his glasses--before calmly taking my seat. But then again--how does one correct such behavior? How is a higher standard for seemingly unimportant detail treated?

Besides--my problem isn't that serious.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger turza said…

    Ha, ha... this is a daily sample of the diagnosed problem:
    R:"does my hair look OK???? does it really?"
    Turza: uh-huh
    R: no it doesn't! You're using that tone again, I can always tell when you don't like my hair.
    Me: no really it looks fine!
    R: fine as in not good! Not it's best! Is it too frizzy? greasy?? TELL ME!!!
    :) I must be the friend who gave you the strange look and told you to go visit the doctor! (lol)

     
  • At 10:42 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    You DO have a certain tone though--and you like, kindof bite your lower lip and nod your head with one eyebrow almost raised. And you always avoid the question! More realistic example:
    me: does my hair look totally wrong?
    you: You look fine.
    me: I didn't ask how I looked--I want to know if my hair is really gross in the back.
    you: I don't see why you always fuss about your hair...
    me: you're STILL not answering the question.
    you: It's fine!
    me: fine as in "okay" or "good"?
    you: (exasperated sigh and rolling of eyes)it's good!
    me: You didn't even look! Tell the truth!
    And so forth...

    I love you turz!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home