once upon a time

The story of my life

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Wahoo!

Wasn't today heartlifting? I walked to my grandmother's house this morning to greet my cousins and found myself smiling uncontrollably. It wasn't the usual smile either. It wasn't a smirk, or a grin, or a polite stretch of the upper lip. It was absolute and inexplicable happiness! I don't know if it was the bright sunshine, or the blue sky, or the receding drifts of snow...but I smiled and did something I'd never conciously done before. (Brace yourself!) I walked in the middle of the road. On purpose. Which of course is not really a big deal when you live in a small, practically immobile neighborhood--but for some reason I extracted an unusual amount of pleasure in such a small change in routine.
And now that everyone thinks I'm losing it...
My cousins actually came over last night (Lauren, Derek, and Mallory). We all met for supper at my grandmother's, then laughed, and talked as usual as Stephen and Derek wrestled eachother to the death.
After several short lived wrestling matches, we all decided to move on to something more fun...cheerleading! I know, it sounds weird. But ever since the beginning of this year, my little cousin Mallory has been obsessed with cheers, tumbling, and stunting. (Hehe--to my great joy and her father's slight annoyance.) Derek actually likes the tumbling and stunting (good use of his "impressive" muscles), and Lauren watches and laughs. After a while, we actually did get Mallory into a prep, and Derek managed some sort of cool summersault thing that he believed merited him the title of gymnast.

Soon however, interest waned, and we began another sport...something along the lines of "everyone jump on top of Rebecca"


If I look a little thinner or my eyes bulge out when we meet again after break, the above picture should offer sufficient explanation. (Yes, that is me on the bottom, and yes, I was experiencing breath loss and minimal amounts of sheer terror.
Anyway, today they were with us until 12 when they went to visit their other side of the family. They should be back by now though.
Sigh. I'm hungry. I worked at Aruna's house for about an hour today--just cleaning and stuff--but when I left I felt tired and...well, hungry. Hmmm. I would like to continue writing but I can't think of much else to say.
Oh yeah...(to Tirzah if you even read my blog) Do you remember that little turtle hoodie you wore in like, 7th grade? Well, I used to give all the clothes that wouldn't fit me to Lauren. Now, of course, she's about the same size as me and all those old clothes went to Mallory. When she walked in wearing your hoodie today I thought it was funny so I took a picture.

It is SO WEIRD to think of how long ago that must have been. (And how small we were!) It's hard to believe how much time has passed. (Don't worry, I'll save my long, melodramatic monologue on the incomprehensible flight of time for another post.)
Sigh again.
It's been a nice day. I hope spring comes early this year! As I've ranted so many times before, I HATE winter! I don't really care for fall either, everything get so cold and dies. Some people think it's beautiful, but I find it very bleak and depressing. I mean, yes the leaves are nice colors, but they're dying for goodness sake! Their little supply of life is cut off so that they "suffocate" and fall. Sure, red and yellow are nice colors...but when a choking person turns blue (or purple) from lack of oxygen, no one stops by the victim and says, "O! What a lovely shade of blue!" or "I just love watching the colors change!" Ummm...anyway, I much prefer the warmth and life of summer. I love not having to waddle outside in eighteen different layers only to find snow in my boots or that my nose has frozen solid. I like Christmas, ice skating, and snow days in the winter but that's it. I'd take t-shirts, shorts, swimming pools, and a tan any day. And for those of you who say, "But people would get tired of having the same season if it was always summer!" I would reply, "Right, that's why all the people who can vacation in Florida during the cold season."
Sure, my opinions concerning seasonal differences are very strong. (as they are concerning any debatable topic) But if you happen to like winter or fall, I still love you. To each his own I suppose. And now that my post has surpassed all normal lengths and has thereby labeled me as a psycopath with no life, I'm leaving.
So goodbye, and enjoy the rest of this very pleasant day!

5 Comments:

  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger La Profesora said…

    Hi Rebecca. I'm cruising through blogs today and enjoyed yours. You are a very good writer. I don't like winter either - winter in Indiana is sometimes even torture :)
    Hasta Luego.

     
  • At 6:57 AM, Blogger yoshi said…

    walking in the road is fun, but its better when there are cars driving by....its like a human version of frogger....

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger julio said…

    i like the pic by the way.

    wait,, by the way what? what way was i by? i'll try again.

    i like pictures. by the way, i like the one with your eyes bulging out. its a good look for you.

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey Rebecca! I found your blog (finally :) For everyone else reading this, yes that is me samwiched between Rebecca and Stephen. Derek thought it would be funny to wait as long as possible before taking the picture. I was about ready to yell at him. My cheerful face is deceptive is it not? :)

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay! My favorite cousin finally figured out how to post! Love you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home