once upon a time

The story of my life

Friday, January 26, 2007

Silence is golden

it really is. And I like it.
Question: Why is sitting by yourself sad?
Today after an especially good chapel, I beat the crowd and made it to the lunch hall just in time to reserve one of my favorite booths. The food was more than questionable, but I filled my plate anyway. I did choose to bypass the salad bar however. Salad's usually a good choice, but there was definately and large and very dead grasshopper in my roommate's salad last week. Bleh. I'm all for protein, but there's got to be a better way!
Anyway-so I got my food and sat down--by myself--no big deal.
I like sitting by myself--sometimes I prefer it! There's plenty to think about beyond the pretense of conversation. Besides, I don't get bored ever--and there is plenty to observe. For anyone who doesn't really know me, that's what I do. I watch people. Slighty creepy--i know.
But there are so many of them--and they all have different lives, and they're all thinking about something when their mouths are closed. I note the facial expressions, the mannerisms, the mismatched shoe laces and the little mole under a left eye. I see the way a group interacts--and I know which ones are friends, which ones were poilitely invited, which one is never taken seriously...and I see them think. The one on the fringe of the gathering--I know that she's sad. The guy nodding with his buddies doesn't really agree. I see people's self-counciousness, their pride, their disappointment.
All this while sitting by myself--which brings me back to my ranting. :)

Anyway--so I haven't been sitting for five minutes when a friend walks by.

"You're sitting by yourself?"

Whoa........apparently I am!
Are you asking because you're boycotting general intelligence? Helping me cope with reality? Tactfully assuming that I have no friends?

There were more after that.

Several more acquaintances made similar observations--"You're eating lunch alone?" and my personal favorite, "Why are you by yourself?"
Is there a law of physics that I'm not aware of? Am I offending my fellow students with 15 minutes of solitude? And beyond that--why do they feel sorry for me? Do I look sad? I mean, if you really find my plight so pathetic--why do you move on? You don't have to join me, but seriously---collect an offering or something!

Since when does "alone" equal "lonely"? It's bad enough when I eat by myself, or when people find out that I've never had a boyfriend. What's the deal? Maybe other people are incapable of functioning without someone "there for them," but I get the fork to my mouth just fine. I even managed some dessert.
Basically, I'm alone because I like being alone...and until I find something better, that's the way it's gonna be.


Alright. I'm done ranting. Now I will communicate like a human being. I promise.
I'm going home with my friend Whitney this weekend for her school's homecoming...yay! It'll be something different and fun. I'm also flying with her to Florida during spring break!!! I don't generally get excited about stuff--but I am sooo looking forward to it! I'm a big fan of the beach.
It's actually been alright here, with the snow and all. It hasn't been deathly cold, and the sun's still doing his thing--so I am happy. :)
I've been really busy with art stuff--so I didn't try out for this year's musical, but I'm not excessively heartbroken...at all. Meanwhile, the rest of my classes are going well and I love being here. I've made some new friends--still hang out with 1st semester people... Ooooooh! I went shopping the other day and bought a pair of shoes for six dollars!! They were completely unneccessary and way over the top but I didn't care. Basically, they're like, 5 inch heels COMPLETELY COVERED IN GOLD GLITTER. Sigh--I'm in love! I wore them to some kid's senior voice recital--that was fun. I went because I was invited, and because I like those singing boys, and...FINE, the Cheesecake Factory was like, sponsoring the reception!!!!! mmm.
Sparkly shoes and good food. I was a happy girl.

Well--I wrote cause I felt like catching up, but now I don't! :)
Soooo...until next time!

10 Comments:

  • At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Rebecca,
    I`m with you on the " I can be alone yet not lonely" thing, and yes, I also am a creepy, peolpe watcher(hey it`s fun). You have to come see us when you come to fl.

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dearest Rebecca,
    I know what you mean, I think. At least about people-watching. Not exactly about people-annalizing. Most people are generally amusing, when you covertly watch them. I don't usually analize all innocent bystanders, however. Mostly I single out coversations. Great topics to listen for: toothpaste, getting someone who hates you to love you, the top ten ways people annoy you, shoes, and why they amuse you...ect.

    Anyway, tried to post earlier when there were zero comments, wasn't able to. Sadly, I am now the third person to comment. Ah well, I suppose I'll never be first. Fare thee well...

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger MEC said…

    I miss you darling, and now I find that you are abandoning me during S.Break!! That's ok, I'm sure I'll enjoy the solitude, I know what you mean about it. I don't appreciate it when I have it, but when I'm w/ too many people I desperately yearn for it!!

    Have a wonderful break, and I hope no extreme scaring happens!

     
  • At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know what you mean about solitude. I myself am one to sit by myself and I tend to observe... A lot. By looking, and listening. (I hate it when they end up looking at me whilest I'm in the process of observing. Awkward!)

    I've had people come up to me and ask why I'm not with others, or if I'm just anti-social. I just sit by myself because I want to have some time to myself. If people think I should have some company, then perhaps they should have a seat.

    Yeah, anyway, you're not the only one.

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger yoshi said…

    i like my alone time too. oh wait, i flipped on you once and you almost cried cause i wanted to be left alone...hehehe. the memories...they come flooding back...

     
  • At 6:26 PM, Blogger Jonathan Haynie said…

    I kind of hate to be alone most of the time, but there are times when I just want to be by myself.

    Truly, the times when we are alone are times of true reflection and coming to realizations about life. All too often we surround ourselves with people so much that we don't have any real time to meditate and draw closer to God.

     
  • At 5:39 AM, Blogger La Profesora said…

    i absolutely love quiet - a quiet house - it's the best. Being out in nature when there's good weather and all sorts of "natural" sounds - even better. Just space to be alone and talk to the Lord. But, all good things come to an end, no?
    A blessed Easter to you and your family. Say hi to Christopher for me.

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Blogger julio said…

    being alone can be a beautiful thing. especially when its an out of the ordinary thing. for me, i like being alone. its easier. and ill keep telling myself that for another 3 1/2 years.

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Waaaah! You never write on this thing anymore. I miss you dear cousin, perhaps in five or so years you will glance at this comment, and wonder how long ago it was posted. Ha! WONDER. Wonder.

     
  • At 6:59 AM, Anonymous mal said…

    people don't often understand my silence, some times I just stare into space & people ask me "are you okay?"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home