once upon a time

The story of my life

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Random Children

Well--yesterday after absorbing at least 3 liters of chlorine in Luke's pool, swallowing twice as much, getting a nice tan and a little closer to Joe than I would prefer, I watched Stephen Spielberg's giant rubber shark chew on people before collapsing in my room around 10:30. For those of you who haven't seen Jaws, let me vent. Okay--it really isn't a horrible movie...there are a few good jump scenes and...okay that's about it.
As a weathered and respected movie critic, these were a few of the problems.
#1 The actors. They were horrible.
#2 Okay, and the whole giant shark thing---I really wanted to believe it, I did!





It was fine until Mr. Speilberg decided to send his shark flying out of the water and onto the boat. I mean, I'm sorry, but the "hopping shark" was not impressive.
Maybe he should have used a stunt double.
Besides that, EVERYONE knows that sharks can't breathe unless they are moving. (Their gills are constructed in such a way that the shark must be moving, forcing water into the gills flaps so that the oxygen...Okay, I don't really know what I'm talking about---but what the heck do movie critics know anyway?!?) Point being--it's hard for me to believe that this shark could devour our fisherman friend out of water for five minutes. And the last thing about this shark, he like, couldn't close his mouth. He basically gummed his victims to death. My favorite was when guys on the boat start yelling that "he's biting through the ropes!" So then you see the glistening of the rubber sharks head, and the fury in his plastic eyes as Jaws somehow manages to "bite" through the ropes with his mouth open.
Maybe I'm rambling.
Maybe I make no sense.
But neither did JAWS and it made millions of dollars!

Change subject.

The title of my post "random children"refers to the insane amount of babysitting requests I receive on a daily basis. Like today for example. This morning at 8 o'clock, I watched the Worrell girls. Then, this afternoon, I went swimming with Alexander. And now, I have in my care FIVE CHILDREN. Of course, I'm not complaining. Just providing an intellectual reason for my post title.

Oh yes--and for all my fans who don't know yet (and care)


I'M GOING TO INDIANA WESLEYAN!!!!!
I went sometime last week to register and buy my books, and revel in the sweet confidence of my future. I'm really excited, and my summer has become even more enjoyable now that I don't have to worry about this anymore!
Well besides all of this---I got nothin'. I just fed all of my children French Toast sticks however, and the syrup with which they drowned this microwaved delicacy had an ungodly sugar content. Thus, I'm assuming that the random thuds, screams, and crashes coming from downstairs are telling me something. Either they've invented the lightbulb and are performing a ceremonious victory dance-----or Stephen has decided to give karate lessons.
Really gotta go! (I think I had a little to much syrup myself!)

9 Comments:

  • At 7:40 AM, Blogger bethoven said…

    CONGRATULATIONS on your college choice!

    I think I saw Jaws once...older movies are fun to watch and see how far technology has come! One of these days I would like to see all of the Jaws movies.

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    we had some fun times at the pool for like 8 hours! ANd ditto about the joe thing.....
    sam i might advise a different word choice from mamacita..........

    darn it i missed the flopping shark thing! i musta left too early! oh well, we didnt really watch it so much as make fun of Luke

     
  • At 6:50 PM, Blogger Sage said…

    GO JOSH KIRBY GO!!!

    well, that was actually amusingly cruel... hardy har har hardy har




    matie...

     
  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger yoshi said…

    awww...come on, i'm a nice guy. and you weren't that close to me....except when you choose to get close. other than that i kept my distance.

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lol.... sorry Becca, I have a message for Chris too, if you could let him read this........
    "Chris, it was nice meeting you when you came down. Thanks for my button; it still makes me smile when I see it. I would have emailed you a thanks, but Sam said you don't check your email very much at all, so I thought this would be okay instead. Keep in touch!"
    Ok, Becca, thanks for letting me leave a comment on your blog to your brother. Oh, and congrats on picking out a college. :)

     
  • At 7:35 AM, Blogger Sage said…

    solid

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger MEC said…

    I think you got that random shark fact from me!! Actually I don't know, but we do seem to have funny arguments 'cause neither of us like to lose, so instead they go on and on and on. . .

    Yeah, well I've had a lot of fun w/ you this summer so far. I hope to keep seeing you lots!

    Love ya! (Good choice staying in Indiana, everyone else is just plain weird, no offense!)
    (hee hee)
    my lack of sleep is blamed on Rebecca and Tirzah

     
  • At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just got back from camp Rebecca! It was AWESOME!!! can't wait to tell you at the reunion thingy. We went swimming in the lake up there, some of the dead fish were scarier than Mr. rubber Jaws in your post.

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How dare you talk this way about Jaws!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home