once upon a time

The story of my life

Sunday, February 19, 2006

BIG NEWS!

I winced as a shower of rose petals fell from the stem I was holding, leaving it bare and no longer beautiful. Tossing it aside I picked up the next flower. Turning it over gently, I careful twisted the long green wire around the length of its stem--supporting the blossom and insuring the rose a longer life. I was not long into my task when I heard the familiar shuffle of my brother's footsteps in the doorway. The twinkle of a smile danced over my face as I heard him take an opening breath. I was getting pleasantly used to my little brothers' random intrusions. Each day brought a new cause, and I was never sure what problem or proposition they would present me with next. Yesterday, I walked into my room to find 100 pennies scattered all across my desk top. Later, Jono came in and asked me (with an enormous smile) if I had found them. I of course, replied that I had, and asked him what they were for. At this point, he threw himself around my neck, kissed my cheek and shrugged.
"Just 'cause..." was the only answer I received before he danced out of my room.
Point made, I heard Stephen outside my door, and turned to meet the clear blue eyes and freckled face I have come to love. The corner of his lower lip was turned up slightly, so I knew that he was proud or excited about something. Nevertheless, he kept a serious face, and began to speak, using what he believes is his "changed voice." (some kind of forced monotone that he tilts his chin down to accomplish--but feels very manly after doing so.)
"Rebecca?" pause. another breath. "Do you still use your pro-active?" (Acne treatment)
"Ummm...yeeeeeessssss..." I raised my eyebrows in expectation.
"Oh." He turned and began to mess with the things on my desk--waiting for me to ask why he wanted it.
I didn't.
Finally he couldn't bear the silence any longer.
"Mom wanted me to ask you." another pause. "She...well...I guess I have one on my chin."


MY LITTLE BROTHER JUST GOT HIS FIRST ZIT!!!!!!
WHOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!

Where has the time gone?! What happened to that chubby roll of a baby that I used to decorate with dandelions and swing by his toes? It's hard to believe he'll be in Junior High next year. And that I won't be there to cheer him on....sigh! I'm definately sticking around though. If I get this Indiana Wesleyan art scholarship, then I'll go there. I would love being so close! I could come to all of Stephen's games, and the school plays, and keep my brothers out of trouble. I can't wait till they're in highschool and I can just, swing by and take them out for the day. Of course, by then, I won't be cool anymore.

Hmm...changing the subject--I taught Sunday School again, and received the same amount of random amusement as is guaranteed any job involving children. One little girl (the same one who gave me the valentines last week) asked if she could sing a song for the class (in the middle of lesson time!) I eventually allowed her to, and the next 10 minutes were spent listening to all 11 verses/versions of "Peter, James and John in a Sailboat."
When lesson time resumed, I asked this question: Why is it so hard to be kind to our enemies?

Boy #1: (hand politely raised. I am impressed--i call on him) "Miss Rebecca--if you had to pick one of us as your favorite--who would it be?"

So you're thinking--well, for a random comment that's not so bad. And it wasn't. But I was in no way prepared for the next child!

Boy #2: (I'm surprised that he's participating. He usually gives me trouble) "Umm..well...once, I was having this nightmare, and E.T. was next to my bed trying to eat me...and, um...cuz I always have scary dreams about him, and he--well--he was wearing, like, this cat suit, and he jumped on me and I tried to punch him to the wall, but he just was still eating me, and.............(?!?!?!?! WHAT?!?!What does this have to do with anything? And have you ever considered medical help?)

Well, our house is sinfully freezing, and my hands are almost numb, so....later!

13 Comments:

  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger julio said…

    my sisters arent quite as endearing.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger La Profesora said…

    your journal of these events took us there - we all laughed, especially at the S.S. kids' responses. Been there :)

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well Hurrah, I must say the title got me exited, however, the story did not. I fail to see your source of enthusiasm.

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger julio said…

    honestly if i was your brother, you would be my late sister.

     
  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger yoshi said…

    some people really can't find happiness in their lives, can they?

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger MEC said…

    Brothers are totally random, just when they're cool they turn on you and then do random sweet things like conspire to stay out of trouble. . .

    or buy me gas

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger turza said…

    Yay for zits!

     
  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger Roberto said…

    I remember my first zit and the first time I was eaten by E.T......good times...good times.

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger MEC said…

    Andy, are you looking for a beating

    hurray for zits?

     
  • At 6:11 PM, Blogger julio said…

    rebecca, please set things straight on jordans "nice boy" post.

    signed,
    the big jerk

     
  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger Sage said…

    zits inhale Vigorously...

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger MEC said…

    I'm bored, write me a new post when you get the chance, your bits of wisdom seem so profound

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    come on Rebecca. You haven't posted anything new. Next Thursday, it will be a mounth since you posted something new!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home